All applicants seeking admission to the Master of Public Health (MPH) Program must submit all required application materials and meet admissions requirements prior to enrollment in the program.
*Please note that the application cycle for Fall 2017 enrollment is open on SOPHAS. The final deadline is July 30, 2017 for domestic students and June 1, 2017 for international students.*
Required Application Materials:
- Primary application must be submitted online via SOPHAS (http://www.sophas.org).
- Three letters of reference should be submitted from current or previous college professors and/or employers; the third letter may be submitted from a college professor, employer or friend. References must be submitted to SOPHAS.
- Personal statement: 750 word essay on how the the mission of the Mercer MPH program aligns with the applicant's life, educational, and career goals.
- Writing Sample: An additional writing simple must accompany the personal statement within SOPHAS; examples of an acceptable writing sample include an excerpt from an essay or article written during the applicant's undergraduate coursework.
- Official GRE or MCAT scores must be submitted using the correct code: Mercer U Pub Hlth SOPHAS (0127).
- Official transcripts must be sent directly to SOPHAS from all colleges / universities attended.
- International students or domestic students with credentials from institutions outside the United States are required to have those credentials evaluated by a professional evaluation service.Transcripts from colleges and universities outside the U.S. must be evaluated by World Education Services (WES). Please see www.wes.org/sophas for instructions.
- An official evaluation report must be sent to SOPHAS to be included in the application. Applicants whose native language is not English must also demonstrate satisfactory proficiency in English language as measured by the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Until this procedure has been accomplished, an application for admission cannot be considered.
- Completion of an undergraduate (Bachelor's) degree from a regionally-accredited college or university in the United States or recognized international institution.
- Undergraduate Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.85 on a 4.00 scale required for regular admission.
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) scores. Applicants holding a Master's degree or higher are exempt from submitting GRE scores.
- Required Community Service Hours: A minimum of 30 hours as an active participant in a service or community project. Examples of this service/volunteer experience include work in an afterschool program, volunteering with a food bank or shelter, or engaging in community improvement projects (locally, nationally, or internationally). This information should be reported as part of the SOPHAS application.
- Conditional Admissions: Occasionally students may be admitted conditionally with a GPA of less than 2.85. Students admitted under conditional status must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.00 for the first 9 hours of core curriculum. Students with less than a 2.50 will not be considered for admission. Students who do not maintain a 3.00 during the first 9 hours will be dismissed from the program. Applicants for conditional admissions will be processed after the June 1 admissions deadline.