*The application cycle for Summer 2023 is open on ATCAS. The final deadline is May 15, 2023.*
All applicants seeking admission to the Master of Athletic Training (MAT) Program must submit all required application materials including the ATCAS application and meet the following requirements prior to enrollment in the Program.
- A completed application that includes a personal statement and two essays.
- Documentation of at least 50 hours of clinical observation under the supervision of an athletic trainer. Please click here to access the Observation Hours Verification Form.
- Completion of a Bachelor's degree (2.85 cumulative GPA recommended) from a regionally-accredited American college or university.
- Completion of all seven prerequisite courses prior to matriculation with required prerequisite GPA of 2.85. If a prerequisite has been taken more than once, the best attempt will be used in calculating the prerequisite GPA. Applicants with a prerequisite GPA of less than 2.85 may be considered for conditional acceptance. The conditions of acceptance would require these students to earn a minimum GPA of 3.0 during their first semester to continue in the MAT program. Please click here to review the Prerequisite Evaluation Policy.
- The seven prerequisite courses for Mercer's MAT Program are:
- Chemistry I (for science majors) with lab;
- Physics I (for science majors) with lab;
- Two-course series of human anatomy and physiology with lab;
- Psychology with an emphasis on individual behavior (general, abnormal, or developmental); and
- Statistics or biostatistics.
- Official GRE scores may be sent directly from ETS to ATCAS using the institution code 2725 (Mercer University). GRE scores optional, not required.
- Two letters of recommendation. (One letter must be from a college or university professor and one letter must be from an athletic trainer.)
- Applicants must also meet the MAT Program's Technical Standards in order to be considered for the Program.
- Qualified applicants will be invited to visit the Athletic Training Program for an interview.
*A note for prospective MAT students: Exceptions to our application requirements given the current situation with COVID-19 are listed below:
- We will accept science courses/labs that have had to go online for the Spring 2020, Summer 2020, Fall 2020, Spring 2021, and Summer 2021 semesters.
- Students given an option of pass/fail at their institution are strongly encouraged to decline that option for all prerequisite courses and maintain a letter grade.
- Applications will be accepted without the minimum 50 hours of observation documented with the expectation that all observation hours will be completed with appropriate documentation by program start if accepted.
Submission of final official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended prior to enrollment is required. Accepted students must comply with requirements regarding health, immunizations, background checks, and drug screenings prior to enrollment in the Program.
Please note that the Program does not accept transfer credits from Athletic Training curricula from other institutions.
Mercer's scholarship athletes, including 5th year scholarship athletes, are not eligible for the Master of Athletic Training Program until completion of tenure as a student-athlete.
Please click here for answers to Frequently Asked Questions about the Master of Athletic Training Program.
For information regarding professional licensure, please click here.