All applicants seeking admission to the Master of Athletic Training (MAT) Program must submit all required application materialsincluding the ATCAS application, and meet the following requirements prior to enrollment in the Program.
*Please note that the application cycle for Summer 2018 enrollment is open on ATCAS. The final deadline for consideration is May 1, 2018.*
- A completed application that includes a personal statement and two essays. If applicants are unable to utilize ATCAS, apply directly to Mercer by clicking here.
- Documentation of at least 50 hours of clinical observation under the supervision of an athletic trainer.
- Completion of a Bachelor's degree (2.85 cumulative GPA recommended) from a regionally-accredited American college or university.
- Completion of all eight prerequisite courses prior to matriculation with required prerequisite GPA of 2.85. If a prerequisite has been taken more than once, the best attempt will be used in calculating the prerequisite GPA.
- The eight prerequisite courses for Mercer's MAT Program are:
- Chemistry I (for science majors) with lab;
- Physics I (for science majors) with lab;
- Two-course series of human anatomy and physiology with lab;
- Psychology with an emphasis on individual behavior (general, abnormal, or developmental);
- Nutrition; and
- Statistics or biostatistics.
- Applicants must have taken the GRE General Exam within the past five years and submit official scores to Mercer University.
- Two letters of recommendation. (One letter must be from a college or university professor and one letter must be from an athletic trainer.)
- Applicants must also meet the MAT Program's Technical Standards in order to be considered for the Program.
- Qualified applicants will be invited to visit the Athletic Training Program for an interview.
Submission of final official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended prior to enrollment is required. Accepted students must comply with requirements regarding health, immunizations, background checks, and drug screenings prior to enrollment in the Program.
Please note that the Program does not accept transfer credits from Athletic Training curricula from other institutions.
Mercer's scholarship athletes, including 5th year scholarship athletes, are not eligible for the Master of Athletic Training Program until completion of tenure as a student-athlete.
Please click here for answers to Frequently Asked Questions about the Master of Athletic Training Program.