Residency in Advanced Cardiology
The Mercer-Piedmont Heart Physician Assistant Residency in Advanced Cardiology is a collaborative effort between the Mercer University Physician Assistant Program and Piedmont Heart Institute.
The Physician Assistant Residency is an intensive 12-month program. A monthly stipend will be provided to the resident. Physician Assistant residents will participate in the admission and consultation of cardiac patients to the intensive care units. Responsibilities will include rounding on nights, weekdays, and weekends. Residents will rotate through cardiac subspecialties including, but not limited to, general and interventional cardiology, electrophysiology, advanced heart failure, and cardiothoracic surgery. The residents will acquire skills necessary to contribute to the management of advance cardiac disease pathophysiologies, such as cardiogenic shock, advanced coronary disease, cardiac arrhythmias, and valvular heart disease.
Additionally, residents will work with experts in advanced imaging techniques such as cardiac catheterization lab, echocardiography, and cardiac MR/CT. There will be ongoing opportunities to obtain Category I CME throughout the year.
The Mercer-Piedmont PA Residency is the first Advanced Cardiology PA Residency program in the nation.
A certificate of training is awarded by Mercer University and Piedmont Heart Institute upon successful completion of the residency program.
To be considered for the residency program, applicants must:
- be a graduate from a PA Program accredited by ARC-PA,
- be eligible to be licensed in Georgia as a Physician Assistant,
- be eligible for Physician Assistant Certification (PANCE eligible),
- be self-motivated with a strong interest in advanced cardiology, and
- submit a complete application including: two letters of recommendation (if candidate has graduated in the last year, one letter must be from the Program Director/Clinical Coordinator of their PA program), personal statement, curriculum vitae, official transcripts from their PA program (a minimum GPA of 3.5 is recommended).
Additional details about the Mercer-Piedmont Heart Advanced Cardiology Residency can be found at: http://www.piedmont.org/medical-professionals/join-the-team/mercer-piedmont-residency-program.